Here was our opening night feast in Newport Beach. If you're a shellfish fan, this is the dish for you. We served this over linguini with Caprese Salad on the side.
Clams, Mussels & Shrimp in Spicy Tomato Broth
via Flavors by Nordstrom
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 yellow onion, thinly sliced into half-moons
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 1/2 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 (28-ounce) can diced fire-roasted tomatoes in juice
- 1 bottle (8-ounce) clam juice
- Grated zest of 1 lemon
- 24 small Littleneck clams (about 2 1/2 pounds total), scrubbed
- 24 mussels (about 1 1/2 pounds total), debearded and scrubbed
- 20 large shrimp (about 1 pound), peeled & deveined
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced fresh basil leaves
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Linguini or crusty bread
Heat the oil in a heavy large pot over medium heat. Add the onions and cook, stirring, until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic,bay leaf, and crushed red pepper. Saute until the garlic is tender, about 1 minute. Add the wine, bring to a boil and cook until the wine has almost evaporated, about 5 minutes.
Add the tomatoes and clam juice. Bring to a simmer. Simmer until the tomatoes begin to break down and the flavors blend, about 5 minutes. Stir in the clams and lemon zest and increase heat to high. Cover and cook for 3 minutes. Stir in the mussels. Cover and cook until the clams and mussels open, about 3-5 minutes longer.
Using a tongs, transfer the opened shellfish to serving bowls (discard any shellfish that do not open). Add the shrimp and basil to the simmering tomato broth. Simmer until the shrimp are just cooked through, about 3 minutes. Divide the shrimp and tomato broth among the bowls. Serve over linguini or with warm bread.