Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Chicken & Egg


While shopping at Progress this afternoon, I spotted "Chicken and Egg: A Memoir of Suburban Homesteading with 125 Recipes".  The pictures hooked me, but as I've been pouring over the story and recipes, I think it's going to become a favorite. The author tells the story of raising chickens in her suburban neighborhood throughout the cookbook. She lays the chapters out by season, so you read her story as you connect with the recipes for each time of year. 

I'm looking forward to cooking things like "Poached eggs over walnut-crusted cheese and whole-grain toast." How about " Florentine fried eggs over roasted asparagus with crispy prosciutto". Does a "Sage Frittata with charred tomatoes and curly parmesan" peak your interest? Maybe "Baked eggs with Basil-Mint Pesto" is more up your alley. 

I grew up with fresh eggs from our chicken coop, and I'd love to have them for my boys. Would you raise chickens in your neighborhood? 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

great pics.
-jk.

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Related Posts with Thumbnails