Friday, December 2, 2011

Mouse & Moe




You're going to love the unique recycled plastic jewelry by Emily of Mouse & Moe. They are all truly one-of-a-kind pieces. Emily's one of those people who can make a masterpiece out of anything you throw her way. She also spends time each year in Uganda teaching women how to make jewelry. She's awesome! Stop by her booth for a chat...


1. What prompted you to start your business?

I've always been the artsy crafty sort, and had made jewelry and purses for friends and myself for years. A few years back, I was unemployed for about six months, and between job searches, I started taking my jewelry making hobby a little bit more seriously!

2. Where do you find inspiration for your work?

I love working with alternative and recycled materials. I try to stay away from craft supply stores and find my materials elsewhere, so I guess you could say that the materials are what inspire me. I've been working a lot with recycled plastic, and have enjoyed the challenge of making it look beautiful. I also love working with broken costume jewelry and other scrap materials where each piece is unique, and I just allow those materials to turn into something one-of-a-kind.

3. What is one essential for your work space?

Having a work space! I worked at a little desk in my bedroom for years, but always found myself folding laundry or taking a nap instead of getting something done. I finally decided to carve out a little work space for myself in the living room, behind a room divider wall, and it's been so good to have a place that is strictly for creating.

4. What is the best part about owning your own business?


My dream is to work as a designer alongside companies that are using ethical business practices to help women around the world combat poverty and achieve their own dreams. I've been incredibly fortunate to have the opportunity to design jewelry for the women of Ember Arts (whose work will be represented at the SoNo Fest). They are a group of Acholi women in Uganda who make recycled paper jewelry. Projects like this require a bit of traveling, though, and having my own business allows me to work just part time with a very flexible and generous employer (Sophia at the Make Good!) so that I'm able to leave the country for months at a time and work in Uganda.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Related Posts with Thumbnails